Pages

Thursday 18 August 2011

Blueberry Crumble Loaf

The next recipe I chose from The Hummingbird Bakery book Cake Days was the Blueberry Crumble Loaf.I usually bake quite rich,chocolatey things so I decided to bake something light and fruity for a change.This loaf was very quick to make.I first made up the crumble topping and set it aside.I then moved onto the loaf mixture itself.I tried to find the right size loaf tin for this recipe but couldn't find one in any of my local shops so I instead settled for a disposable foil loaf pan.I poured the loaf mixture into the pan and sprinkled the crumble mixture on top.It went into the oven to bake for 50 minutes.The only slight problem I had with this was in fact the loaf pan that I used.I think there was slightly too much mixture for the loaf pan to support and therefore when the loaf rose in the oven some of the topping spilled out over the sides of the loaf pan.I took the loaf out of the oven and allowed it to cool slightly before tasting.I thought this was really delicious,as did the rest of my family.They liked it so much that it had been gobbled up completely before I even remember to take a picture so unfortunately I have no picture of this one!I thought the loaf itself was lovely,moist and sweet.The crumble topping was also delicious and I loved the use of the light brown sugar in the crumble which has a lovely flavour.I think after making this loaf I will definitely be making loaf cakes more often :)

Blueberry Crumble Loaf
Sponge
190g(7oz) unsalted butter
190g(7oz) plain flour
190g(7oz) caster sugar
3 eggs
1 tsp baking powder
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
25ml(1fl oz) whole milk
100g(31/2 oz) fresh or frozen blueberries
50g(1 3/4 oz) chopped pecans

Crumble Topping
25g(1oz) plain flour
10g(1/3 oz) unsalted butter
15g(1/2 oz) soft light brown sugar
20g(3/4 oz) chopped pecans
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon

1.Preheat the oven to 170C(325F)Gas mark 3,then grease one 8.5 x 17.5 cm(3 1/2 x 7in)loaf tin with 7.5cm(3in) sides.
2.First make the crumble topping.In a bowl ,rub the flour and butter together with your fingertips until the mixture resembles breadcrumbs.Stir in the remaining ingredients and set aside.
3.Now make the sponge.Using a hand held electric whisk or freestanding mixer fitted with the paddle attachment,cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.Break the eggs in one at a time,mixing well on a medium speed after each addition and scraping down the sides of the bowl.
4.Sift together the flour,baking powder,salt and ground cinnamon,then add in three stages to the creamed butter and eggs,pouring in the milk after the second batch has been added.Mix well on a medium speed after each addition scraping down the sides of the bowl to ensure everything is mixed in.
5.Increase the speed to medium to high and continue mixing until the batteris smooth and even,then add the blueberries and chopped pecans,stirring them into the batter by hand and making sure they are evenly distributed.Pour the batter into the prepared loaf tin and sprinkle the crumble mixture on top.
6.Bake in the oven for 50-60 minutes or until the sponge feels firm and a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean,with no cake batter clinging to it.Allow it to cool a little in the tin before turning out onto a wire rack and cooling completely.Once cool cut into slices.

No comments:

Post a Comment