Pages

Sunday 13 May 2012

Chocolate Chip Oatmeal Cookies

I love chocolate cookies(who doesn't?),but I definitely fall into the chewy category.I have made quite a few batches of cookies in the past only to be disappointed when they have cooled and become hard and crispy.However,I am always on the lookout for a new recipe which promises to produce a chewy cookie and when I read the description for these cookies on David Lebovitz's site,I was instantly persuaded to give these a go.The pictures also promised greatness and I have yet to be disappointed with any of the recipes on his site.
Scanning down through the recipe,there was a line which state that the dough should be "allowed to rest for a couple of hours or overnight".Now this wasn't the first time where I have read this in cookie recipes and in hindsight I should have known that this would make a difference to the end result.But eager as ever to get baking (and eating) I ploughed on and began making the cookies.When it came for the time to bake the cookies,I realised just home much dough this recipe makes.I got two large cookies sheets of eight 50g balls of dough and I still had a mountain of dough leftover.It was then that an idea struck me.I decided I would bake half of the cookies in their present,unrested state and bake the other half the next day when they had spent a night in the fridge.
So to the results.The smell coming from the oven as these cookies baked was promising.However,when I took the (unrested) cookies out of the oven,I already knew that these were not of a chewy nature.After a few minutes cooling,I took a bite and my suspicions were confirmed.Crispy.Delicious yes,but crispy.The following day I baked up the second batch of cookies and this time I was delighted with the results.A chewy,chocolaty cookie.Just how I like them.One thing I did notice was that the cooking time given in the recipe is,in my opinion,too long(I have a fan oven).I think this lengthy baking time did little to help the desired chewiness and on the second,rested batch I only baked my cookies for roughly 15 minutes,after which some people may say they were still slightly undercooked.For me though,after cooling they were perfectly chewy,just how I like them.
Definitely worth a go if it's a chewy cookie you're after.You can find the recipe here.The original calls for raisins but I substituted with chocolate chips instead.

2 comments:

  1. I am all about a chewy cookie and this classic combination sounds perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Couldnt agree more-chewy are the best!

    ReplyDelete